Re: [OM] Fwd: OK, now that I sorted that out.... Ballhead recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] Fwd: OK, now that I sorted that out.... Ballhead recommendation
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 16:45:28 -0700
On 3/10/2013 4:11 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Not sure what's wrong with A-S.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

> The D4 geared version is about 1/2 the weight of the 405.

It's a lovely looking thingie, and weight and size are attractive. OTOH,
vernier adjustment only on two axes; pan is
simple manual. That may not seem like much, and is indeed less important than
the other two. And yet, using really long
lenses, I've found the pan vernier on the 410 quite useful.

AND - did I mention $$$? A new 410 is $210, I bought mine for less used, and
have it at hand. Last I heard, the D4 was
said to go for $1,100, but a quick search doesn't turn up where one is for sale.

And, it weighs more and is larger than the ball head I use for the field.

Wait and See Moose

PS:
> There is a coverson kit for the QR to A-S for the 405--adds about 1 lb  more
> and
> $112.00 but looks like it does a nice job.

Who's kidding whom? Mine has an A-S style clamp attached for less than a
quarter of that price and many fewer ounces.
And I can use my second QR plate directly or with others styles of QR clamps on
it with the flip of a lever.