Re: [OM] [Way OT] Why the recent northeast blizzard was not due to globa

Subject: Re: [OM] [Way OT] Why the recent northeast blizzard was not due to global warming
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 08:22:58 -0500
I have never seen a group of people so attuned to microscopic examination of a
few random trees while ignoring the backdrop of a forest aflame. It doesn't
matter a tinker's dam whether data supports of refutes man's contribution to
the changing climate. (And please, don't anyone try to argue the climate's not
changing. Climate changes. That's what it does.) If you pull back a little bit
and look at the big picture, you will see and cannot refute than human kind is
trashing its planet. We consume, we excrete--literally and metaphorically. As
we increase in number, our impact on our ecosystem grows. I believe we have
already crossed the tipping point where the planet is not longer able to handle
our consumption and excretion in a normal manner. So, positing that things
continue as they are, with developing nations such as China, India and Brazil
coming on line, and many more waiting in the wings, the irrefutable fact is
that Spaceship Earth is toast, at least for us. I'm sure E
 arth will abide, and I'm sure some form of life will abide, but it will abide
for a long time in a world made nearly uninhabitable by the presence of so many
humans.

Not saying this is being done maliciously. It's what happens when organisms
inhabit ecosystems. It's what happens to gas in a vacuum: expansion to the
space available. We are ever expanding, ever consuming, ever excreting. It's
called biology. We're toasting ourselves and a lot of other organisms as well.
It is relentless and so far, inexorable.

So it really doesn't matter how much data you amass assigning blame to man for
climate change, or how much data you amass saying man has nothing to do with
climate change. It is a specious and fatuous argument with no relevance to
anything meaningful. What does matter is that we are trashing the Earth at
accelerating speed, and my own humble opinion is that at some point in the not
too distant future, the Universe will Strike Back. Remember the Black Plague?
The flu of 1918? What's coming will make them look like ity-bitsy blips on a
radar screen. You're arguing about the correct tuning of the violin while Rome
burns around you.

Relentless and inexorable, yes. But ultimately inevitable? Maybe. Probably. Our
self-awareness and our genius _might_ offer a way out. But human nature being
what it is and always has been, I'm not holding my breath.

Back to your regular programming.

--Bob