Re: [OM] Reverse adapter - mount MFT lens on FT?

Subject: Re: [OM] Reverse adapter - mount MFT lens on FT?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 10:26:22 -0600
Moose, my point about the "dog" discussion is that it really is an
issue of relativism. If it meets your needs and desires, then it is no
dog. But the moment you have to fight it, then it becomes a dog.
However, at what point is something actually a dog even though the
person using it isn't aware of the dog characteristics?

This lack of awareness may be because of a lack of exposure to better
solutions, or also as likely that the better solution hasn't been
released yet.

Let's take the Canon EOS-M camera as an example. In a blinder'd view,
the EOS-M is the greatest thing since sliced bread. No other EOS-mount
camera has the distinct size advantage of this camera. Is it a dog?
Without knowing what else is out there, the answer is no. Knowing that
there are other cameras with massive advantages over it? Yes. I'm
sorry, but that thing is a mongrul.

Let's take the Olympus E-M5 camera as an example. In a blinder'd view,
the E-M5 is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Compared to other
mirrorless cameras, it is extremely competent. Compared to regular
DSLRs, the performance in some areas stinks. It doesn't take a
rocket-scientist to figure out that Olympus will have to introduce a
better camera that addresses those short-comings. Last year, the best
sensor available in the Olympus mirrorless line was the geriatric
Panasonic sensor which chases after every passing car. Was it a dog
last year? I said "yes", but the apologists said "no" for the same
type of reasons you are giving today.

Is the E-M5 a very good camera? Absolutely. To you and your very
specific usage parameters, the camera may be no dog. But to others it
is. To me and a very specific usage parameter, the E-1 is no dog, but
there is no denying that it barks itself hoarse.

Regarding battery life and live-view. It is true that when compared to
the other cameras (except the Sonys), it is pretty much
comparable--and even better than Canon and Nikon. But, that doesn't
mean you just give it a pass. No. Sorry, but the standard of
long-battery life which we enjoy with DSLRs is what we need to compare
to. The E-M5 is not a toy, it is a tool. It has to play by the same
big-boy rules that tools are subject to. Otherwise, we'll continue
with this nonsense where pros have to use two different systems.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx