Re: [OM] Reverse adapter - mount MFT lens on FT?

Subject: Re: [OM] Reverse adapter - mount MFT lens on FT?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 21:13:21 -0800
On 2/5/2013 6:12 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> The term "dog" means that it is unable to fulfill the intended purpose in
> an acceptable manner.

Yup

> It can also mean that the performance, although
> sufficient, is not competitive with other comparative models.

Nope, not buying that one. If it does the job at hand competently, it's no dog.

This would apply to you later post about the A1 and it's shutter lag. That
would make it a dog to me, and I simply
wouldn't use it. Not so for you.

I have more than once read your praise of it, gone and reread the reviews, and
passed again.

> The E-M5 may have some size and weight advantages that will allow us to give
> some
> problems a pass, but if something isn't up to the task, it isn't up to the
> task.

Agreed, in principle.

> No amount of features will make up for the fact the camera won't
> focus under some common applications. Nor does it mask the issue of
> extremely poor battery life.

Disagreed in detail. I don't know how much actual use time you've put in with
one. I'm now North of 4,300 shots with mine.

I have, extremely rarely, run into focus confusion, in the distant dark or with
almost featureless subjects. Closer up,
the focus assist light will focus in complete dark. The latest time was,
coincidentally, yesterday, with the Panny
20/1.7, under heavy tree cover, relatively amorphous subject, pushing a new
lens. I reframed to put something with
contrast in the center, and it focused fine.

I almost always use center spot only AF, so the few times I have trouble, it
can usually be solved the same way. I will
say that shooting a very dim, moonlit landscape, I believe I focused on the
moon to get infinity, then switched to MF
for the shots.

And I just am not experiencing what I would consider poor, let alone 'extremely
poor' battery life. Yes, it's a lot less
than many/most traditional DSLRs. When compared to cameras with full time live
view, from compacts to ILC competition, I
believe it is competitive.

I find the comparisons to cameras like the D3 ludicrous. You could put a
battery that would start a small car in the
summer is a body that big and heavy. I almost fell over when Bob handed his to
me.

And how did Tina's comment about carrying ELEVEN batteries for a days shooting
with her Leica just float by? Would that
not then be a dog for AG?

In another comparison, the G11 has about twice the size battery of the S100,
with a bigger LCD on the S100 and otherwise
about the same energy needs. So, guess what, G11 battery life is much greater.
With both cameras available to me on the
same shelf, which one always goes with me? You guessed it.

So which one is the dog? Both are very capable cameras, and the G11 has a
couple of advantages beyond battery life. But
for this Moose, at this time, the G11 is the 'dog', 'cause it meets my
photographic needs less well.

The E-M5 may be a dog for some. It's certainly not an action sports camera, but
they must have some extreme needs if
it's due to inability to focus on less than quite fast moving subjects or
battery life.

I was reminded again yesterday just how much I enjoy using it and tonight, as I
went those shots, how many lovely images
I get with it.

Dissenting Dog Moose