Re: [OM] imgs: from the slow train to Amsterdam

Subject: Re: [OM] imgs: from the slow train to Amsterdam
From: iwert bernakiewicz <iwert.bcz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 14:58:45 +0100
2013/2/1 Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>>And Frank: the story about the fyra: I choose from the start not to
>>take it, 280% more expensive for an unpredictable service that could
>>be 15 minutes faster for my total trip, no thank you... so now I'm on
>>the slow train.
>>
>>Nathan, I hope it will be all right (or was all right?) the Thalys is
>>also notorious for being late.
>>

>      How I envy you having passenger train service.  Last one I rode was the
> TGV (orange and silver livery) from Geneva to Paris in 2000.
>
> Chris
> --

It used to be very well organized over here, with good connections
throughout Europe, trains going from Moscow to Brussels to Ostend,
from Brussels to Marseille, we even had a direct connection to Zurich
from Brussels. Now all this is gone and replaced by fragmented private
'fast' connections (but they do not connect to each other, so much of
the speed is lost in transition) with obligatory reservations. I
remember the time you could simply think: of to (fill in any capital
in Europe) and hop on the train and arrive smack in centre town. There
is one alternative: discount low quality air-travel brings you to an
airport 10-20km into oblivion with mostly no public transport.

Iwert