Re: [OM] Since Olympus refused to give us what we wanted somebody else w

Subject: Re: [OM] Since Olympus refused to give us what we wanted somebody else will
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 17:01:20 -0600
>  From what I can tell EF to MFT will clearly happen for Bo Ming
> Speedbooster gizmo but will be same 0.71x
> reduction from all reports. Doubt that would get AG's attention.

Actually, it's close enough. The reality is that with my FF 35mm film
cameras, I end up cropping off enough of the edges that I'm very close
to the same amount of usable angle-of-coverage. Granted, there is that
height/width ratio issue, but in that regard, I'm also pretty good
with the 43 sensors.

> Thinking about the "improved MTF" it clearly can't reach 50% better to
> offset the smaller sensor or that would violate the no free lunch
> principle big time.

That's why I'm also questioning the speed gain claims.

> So when viewed at 100% or same size print the overall resolution must
> be less  compared to  using the lens on FFwith the aberrations of the
> adapter added.

True. I would think that the larger sensor would hold advantage over
the smaller sensor in critical analysis. But two things come to my
mind:

1. Emperical evidence. In the end, it may not matter. We've so far
past the point of diminishing returns that the differences may not
matter. It's kinda like diffraction calculations. The math says that
high pixel count sensors are a waste of money, but the images prove
otherwise.

2. ANY gain is going to be substantial. Having my 28mm lens not act
like a 58mm lens, but more like a 35mm lens will make me very happy.
If I can get it to act like a 28mm lens, I'll be even happier. I'll be
VERY happy if it means that I can save one or two thousand bucks doing
it.

> APS-c --keep up the good work Sony) make this product interesting .
> Suspect AG would not choose NEX in any event.

Would or would not? I happen to really like the NEX-7. It's on my
shortlist of used cameras to nab. I have a price threshold I'm looking
for (and the money in-hand at the same time). I'm patient. I can
wait... Unfortunately, it's another obscure camera. But one with a
slab of pixels.

Speaking of slabs. The fireplace repair is turning out to be much more
expensive than I'd hoped. It's the better part of an OM-D.

The new camera must wait a while longer...

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx