Re: [OM] TOPE Gallery Open Issues 01-10-13

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE Gallery Open Issues 01-10-13
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 20:35:16 -0800
On 1/11/2013 3:22 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> Oops, I see I didn't read, or incompetently skimmed, a post of yours about
>> the impact of various limitations of the server.
> It's something to keep an eye on. I'm not sure where the point of
> diminishing returns is yet.
>
> I don't know what the answer is, except maybe no thumbs on the member's
> gallery list page. Does seeing the same guy in Civil War uniform each time
> make it easier to recognize Chuck's page? If I become dependent on the
> images, do I get lost when someone(s) change their image?
> Well, we can force a random image.

I wasn't suggesting any such thing, and doubt I would like it. I was only
musing on the question whether both name and
image are needed, with one eye toward the limitations of the system and the
other eye looking to the possibility of
fewer pages to the member list.

> I'd rather that each person be
> responsible for choosing the image that they want to have represent
> them on the main listing. I really don't want to play nanny.
>

>> But I don't think I'm that different from most people. If it takes lots of
>> clicks, lots of pages to load, people will
>> just tend to use it less, whether they say so or not.
> Agreed. But at what cost? Look at the LUG gallery. Even if it went to
> 30 per page, you'll still have a gob of pages.

I have never gone there, to the member list. My only comment about the LUG
format was about the individual display page
format, to which I am a frequent visitor courtesy of many list posts of image
links.

I have no attachment to any other aspects of LUG. If, as may be the case, their
implementation of some aspect(s) is less
than ideal, I wouldn't try to copy it.

>> I know from direct experience with the same set-up that I will hesitate to
>> browse the gallery.
> I don't know what to do for you.

You needn't do anything for me. I'm a big boy, and will use or not use any
resource to my own needs and taste. I was
strictly thinking about what might make the experience more friendly for others.

For example, I've done some design of data input pages, some for a quite
complex database. After noting the responses of
users to existing data input schemes, based on the MS standard, I found that
the actual people who fill them in each day
hate them. A typical comment was "Why do I have to go up four levels, then down
three to get to closely related data?"

I tried stuffing as many fields as possible on two screen (with short
descriptors, where that would help.) With data
input all in one place, and in the order of the input material, the users LOVED
IT. Following another design standard
doesn't mean it, or you, are right.

But that's me. Whenever I get one of those multi page lists of merchandise on a
retail site, that has an option for
number of items per page, I pick the largest number or 'all', when available. I
dislike paging back and forth. The
Amazon Cart page, for an other example, is just a big pain to use and maintain.

> I'm not sure that there is a one size fits all solution.

Certainly not. All one can do, if aiming for maximum visits and usage, is make
it as user friendly as possible.

> With the Gallery 2 implementations for TOPE and
> LUG, the top status line shows you where you are at all the time.

Also a feature of may sites, and extremely useful.

> This
> Gallery 2 implementation that TOPE and LUG is implementing is very
> close to the standards established by Flickr and other on-line image
> gallery systems.

Flickr sux.

Just because someone else is successful with a less than optimal interface, as
likely as not because they were first
with the functionality, doesn't mean copying them is the way to success in
competition with them.

> I can clean up some issues, but others are inherent to the world we live in.

Perhaps true of canned solutions, to which you are limited here. Not
necessarily true in the larger sense.

> I'm happy if I can just make it easier to use than the average television
> remote.

Well, at least it doesn't have a lot of buttons I don't know the purpose of
and/or don't need the functions of.

Helpful ? Moose