Re: [OM] TOPE Gallery Open Issues 01-10-13

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE Gallery Open Issues 01-10-13
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:22:21 -0600
> Oops, I see I didn't read, or incompetently skimmed, a post of yours about
> the impact of various limitations of the server.

It's something to keep an eye on. I'm not sure where the point of
diminishing returns is yet.

> I don't know what the answer is, except maybe no thumbs on the member's
> gallery list page. Does seeing the same guy in Civil War uniform each time
> make it easier to recognize Chuck's page? If I become dependent on the
> images, do I get lost when someone(s) change their image?

Well, we can force a random image. I'd rather that each person be
responsible for choosing the image that they want to have represent
them on the main listing. I really don't want to play nanny.

> But I don't think I'm that different from most people. If it takes lots of
> clicks, lots of pages to load, people will
> just tend to use it less, whether they say so or not.

Agreed. But at what cost? Look at the LUG gallery. Even if it went to
30 per page, you'll still have a gob of pages.

> I know from direct experience with the same set-up that I will hesitate to
> browse the gallery.

I don't know what to do for you. I'm not sure that there is a one size
fits all solution. With the Gallery 2 implementations for TOPE and
LUG, the top status line shows you where you are at all the time. This
Gallery 2 implementation that TOPE and LUG is implementing is very
close to the standards established by Flickr and other on-line image
gallery systems. I can clean up some issues, but others are inherent
to the world we live in.

I'm happy if I can just make it easier to use than the average
television remote.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx