Re: [OM] Another gadget obsoleted.

Subject: Re: [OM] Another gadget obsoleted.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 20:00:28 -0600
> It's probably OK for phones but if you're trying to charge an Android
> tablet what works for an iPad may not work for an Android tablet despite
> what the specs say.

Usually the problem is the other way around where the Apple devices
won't charge on anything but Apple specific devices. That's why the
iPads won't generally charge in the USB ports of most computers, but
will in the Apple computers.

However, I did run into an interesting twist to all this on our
Michigan trip. I have a bog-standard Walmart-special power inverter to
supply some basic form of 110 VAC. I plug my wall-warts into it to
power the phones and tablets on the trip. (power strip so a half-dozen
devices can charge simultaneously). Anyway, on the trip back, my
Android phone's touch screen surface would not work if it was plugged
in. Detach from the power and it was fine. Plug it in and the touch
surface was nonfunctional. After a while I realized that I had the
phone plugged into the iPad's power cube. I changed it back to the
normal wall-wart and it worked just fine.

AG

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx