Re: [OM] IMG: Slurp!

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Slurp!
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 19:51:08 +1300
Philippe wrote>
> Le 2 janv. 13 ? 23:27, Peter Klein a ?crit :
>
> > Folks, let me assure you that no humans were harmed in the making of
> > this photo. The dog was licking the boy on the cheek. There was
> > nothing, uh, French about the doggie kiss. :-)

It is now unimportant since the parasite has been eliminated from New
Zealand (and Iceland), but in times past I would have been paranoid about
the child getting hydatids worm cyst infection from the dog.

There are still opportunities for getting other tapeworm eggs, and some
animal viruses what are not at all nice, with such contact.

When I was a child, and the population of NZ was about 1 million people
and 100 million sheep, 400 people died every year from hydatids cyst
infection. Horrible deaths.. Work out the percentage ... :-(

Brian Swale