Re: [OM] Instagram Wants To Sell Users' Photos Without Notice

Subject: Re: [OM] Instagram Wants To Sell Users' Photos Without Notice
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 00:52:45 +1300
Moose wrote

> On 12/20/2012 12:30 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> >> one of her galleries with no attribution.  Not a huge deal to me, but I
> >> decided
> then and there not to post anything on FB that I really cared about.
> > Yeah, that seems to be pretty much it. I'm pretty hard pressed to put
> > anything up there other than junk cell-phone images.
>
> Now you folks are making specious distinctions. People can grab images
> from your own web sites just as easily as from FB/IG.
>
> Putting family images on a private web site doesn't protect them against
> what Joel experienced, unless you don't provide the URL - which kinda
> defeats the purpose. ;-)
>
> I'm not aware of any way to stop that, short of requiring the viewer to
> download an app that provides access while disabling screen capture. Once
> it is on the screen, it's in video memory, and may be copied. Stopping
> that would require OS level intervention.

I have a javascript code that prevents right-click copying, and I have inserted
it in some of my pages. It works.

Re:
> > Once it is on the screen, it's in video memory, and may be copied

Well, that depends on whether or not you can locate the browser cache. I
have 5 browsers in use at present, and only for ONE of them have I been
able to locate the cache. Also, it seems that Chrome splits its cache into
several parts.

I know from close examination of the html code of facebook and other sites
that they use javascript to break into chunks of about 1760 kb the videos
they release. These show in the cache. I have not yet figured out a way to
join them together again, that works.

Maybe there is a javascript that will do this for static image files.

Come to think of it, after remembering watching web-pages load (slowly)
using dialup, many web-page authors cut images up into bits and load them
onto the page using tables to present them seamlessly for viewing.

If I were to use that, somebody using right-click to copy an image would
copy only the segment in which the mouse pointer sat.

Interesting idea. I might try that some time.

It is dead easy to write metadata for a web-page which prevents search
spiders from indexing the page. I also use that.

Brian Swale