[OM] IMGs: Tuesday Flowers

Subject: [OM] IMGs: Tuesday Flowers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 08:58:49 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Okay, this is my third attempt at getting some decent photos of the
Ipomopsis multiflora.  I went out fully armed with the heavy Manfroto 3001
tripod with 3130 head and a few other items.  It took me over 45 minutes lying
on sharp rocks with the tripod column inverted to get enough photos from a few
different angles to satisfy me, and here are two of the better ones:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8224411998/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8224412764/in/photostream/

     To take the second photo I used a Tamron 28-80mm f/3.5-4.2 with a 2X
macro-focusing teleconverter and a +1 diopter auxiliary lens.  One item that
did not work out was the right-angle viewer, which is why I ended up lying on
the ground.  Ordinarily it is helpful, but with the tripod column inverted it
is next to useless.  I would really like to find a viewer eyepiece with a
45-degree angle for work like this.

     Rather than walk along the trail I opted to walk along the streambed for
four miles as that's where the bulk of floral activity will be found this time
of year.  I came across a broad patch of Colorado Four O'Clock (Mirabilis
multiflora), and took a few Georgia O'Keefe photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8223335559/in/photostream/

     I used an antique Vivitar 75-260mm f/4.5 TX series lens plus the Vivitar
2X macro-focusing teleconverter to photograph this specimen from a distance of
eight feet.  The flower is 1-1/2 inches across.  If anyone needs a convincing
example of the value of that teleconverter, this will probably suffice.  Don't
leave home without it.

     I later came across a side drainage that looked inviting, and way up a
50-degree slope of loose shale I came across an exceptional specimen of False
Paiute Bindweed:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8223334799/in/photostream/

and right next to it was my first sighting of Wild Radish:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8224409618/in/photostream/

     Even though I worked myself to the point of exhaustion, it was a very
profitable adventure.  Now I need to do something about that viewer.

Chris