Re: [OM] OT: Uruguay and WA State have something in common!

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Uruguay and WA State have something in common!
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgonzalezgentile@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 13:02:47 -0200
Hi Chris,

Yesterday night, I carefully avoided the medical side of this problem.
Did so, because it has so many nuances that it's difficult to say
something at the same time meaningful, scientific, truthful, and in
understandable English language.
Specially, in a group like this one: any one of us is above-average
educated people, I guess at least all above 45 (optimistic
speculation), but every one of us comes from a different background.
First point: it would be just as difficult to pose the problem if
everyone in this group had studied medicine for, say, 35 years.
Second: it would be just as difficult to pose the problem if everyone
in this group had studied psychiatry for, say, 27 years [our
scientific society manifested against this project - I agree, but I
don't agree with the reasons our group think are valid reasons].
I make a point out of this, because Schizophrenia (Kraepelin, Bleuler,
Henri Ey) - is _very much_ difficult to diagnose.
More so: it's _very much_ difficult to understand / empathise with the
several forms this group of so-called 'schizophrenias' (E. Bleuler ! )
show themselves.

The Independent is just a newspaper.
Mr.Patrick Cockburn is writting about the son he wishes he may have raised.
Your brother abused of a substance (I abuse of sugar at 07:30 only),
and he suffers (certainly from?).
Pure ethanol is poisonous, the degree depends on how much and how long
- but it's a simple substance, thus cause -> effect is a little more
easy to establish.
Smoking (smoke - a mix of substences diluted in atmosferic air) is
poisonous too. Cancer? yes, a significant number of people who smoke
tobacco because nicotine stimulates the dopamine system, develop
cancer - but carbon monoxide cronic intoxication is cause -> effect.

I know hundreds of schizophrenic human beings.
Few of them know what pot is ...some of them are near 70, and 70 years
ago pot was not a part of our culture (it didn't exist here), No
Woodstock, no Jimmi Hendrix.

Ian: what does MS mean ?

Fernando.

Must go to work now.