Re: [OM] The curse of perfection

Subject: Re: [OM] The curse of perfection
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 14:47:59 +0200
Ken, I agree with you fully.

The 3Ti was so darn perfect to use, I had to sell it. It made me not use
my larger-format cameras anymore. It made me lazy, shooting things I
should rather be shooting with my Mamiya.

You see, printing the large negative in the darkroom, *that* is where
the perfection lies closest to my heart. It was tearing me apart, this
most perfect camera in the world to *use*, but only average prints
(compared to what 6x7cm, 4x5in produces). I'm not a sharpness freak, but
there is a solidity, a smooth tonality, to negatives that are not
over-enlarged. And my composition through a waist-level finder always
ends up being best, for some strange reason. But up to 8x10in, the OMs
produced perfection indeed.

My heart yearns for the little OM-3Ti body sometimes, I miss the feeling
in my hands... But I've grown as a person (letting this amazing stuff
go) and focusing on what I feel is most artistically important for my
needs.

I will forever remain an OM-3Ti user in spirit with you, Ken. You are
indeed holding design and engineering perfection, and the damned coolest
gadget for any mechanical engineering freak ever made :-)

The Leica M3 comes close though, and I get my 35mm kicks from that.

Dawid

--

DAWID LOUBSER
Systems Architect - Travellinck International