Re: [OM] The curse of perfection

Subject: Re: [OM] The curse of perfection
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 09:59:21 -0600
Dawid wrote:
> Ken, I agree with you fully.

Thanks for responding! The sound of crickets was deafening.

> The 3Ti was so darn perfect to use, I had to sell it. It made me not use
> my larger-format cameras anymore. It made me lazy, shooting things I
> should rather be shooting with my Mamiya.

I feel the same way about digital.

> You see, printing the large negative in the darkroom, *that* is where
> the perfection lies closest to my heart...

I don't disagree in the least. When all else is equal, there is no
substitute for size. The problem I've run into is that my larger
format gear has always been an operational compromise of some form and
that has prevented me from getting the best possible shots. As a
result, there has been a bit of form following function and I do tend
to shoot things which exploit the strengths of the 35mm format and
minimize the weaknesses. For me, my upper limit is an 11x14 print with
decent margins. Basically about an 8x12" image area at the outset.
However, I'm usually cropping, so I do get a little more loss. My
usual print size though is an image area of 6x8" on 8x10" paper. At
this size, as long as I'm using a fine-grain film, the results are
more than good enough. Every once in a while there is a shot which
needs to be blown up really, really big, but those tend to not contain
so much detail as to run up against the limits. As long as the lines
are sharp...

> My heart yearns for the little OM-3Ti body sometimes, I miss the feeling
> in my hands... But I've grown as a person (letting this amazing stuff
> go) and focusing on what I feel is most artistically important for my
> needs.

I haven't grown up enough to become that enlightened. I'll stick with
my child-like attachment to my old toys. I'm VERY cutting edge in
other areas. It's nice to be a bit recalcitrant in others.
Fortunately, I'm cutting edge and pretty much "out there" for my day
job and I'm paid somewhat adequately for it. Do enjoy your 4G/LTE
phones. ;-) My design went viral in the industry and is now the
preferred and requested configuration. So, forgive me for my wanting
to enjoy a little bit of the past. I'm paid to be cutting edge and
forward thinking in telecom, not paid to buy the latest cameras. It's
my job to be thinking 5-10 years into the future, not to decode the
mysteries of the latest photographic gadget.

Which brings up a point. My design is successful not necessarily
because it carves out entirely new grounds, but what it does is build
upon a technology and methodology which is two and three generations
old, but was abandoned in the last and current generations. The
current/recent generation of technology and methodology had scaling
limits. By revisiting the past, I was able to create a network design
which scaled, modular and totally applicable to every need. Sometimes
you have to go to the past before you can go to the future. All I did
was stand on the shoulders of giants. What's odd is that I'm still a
newcomer to the industry. Parallels to photography can be made.

> I will forever remain an OM-3Ti user in spirit with you, Ken. You are
> indeed holding design and engineering perfection, and the damned coolest
> gadget for any mechanical engineering freak ever made :-)

The Nikon FM3A also ranks up there.

> The Leica M3 comes close though, and I get my 35mm kicks from that.

I can see myself with an M6. Honestly, I'd rather get an M6 with a
couple of lenses than ANY digital camera out there. It can look all
beat up too. I don't care. However, the OM-3Ti is as close as I'll
probably get--at least until after the daughters are graduated,
colleged and married.

AG

--
Ken Norton