Re: [OM] IMG: Boy in Straw Hat

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Boy in Straw Hat
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 13:13:11 -0800
On 11/9/2012 4:02 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
> Well, I guess I'm going to have to run the Color Munki on my monitor again
> because I don't see that at all.  Any less saturation and the photo on my
> monitor is almost black and white.  I desaturated it by -20 before I posted
> it anticipating that everyone would think it was over-saturated.  My
> monitor must be way off.

Well ... I was very pleased to see the denim, something with which we are all
far more familiar than the home
made/embroidered clothes. My immediate reaction on seeing this image was
release, "Aaaahhh", and comfort in the fact
that the denim looked true in color.

On my screen, with my eyes, it doesn't look oversaturated, at least not for
Kodachrome. Kodachrome does REDs. Probably
if it had been Ektachrome, I'd think the blue denim was overdone.

There is a serious question here. Do you want the images to look like the
Kodachrome originals, or like an almost
neutral film? My suspicion is the former for you, while many here may be
looking for neutral.

As I've suggested before, the original slide next to the screen may be a better
touchstone than any calibration or
comments from others, if you want to retain the "Kodachrome Look".

I happen to like going whole hog with color profile correction. That has the
benefit that all films look the same after
correction, neutral, natural, to my eye. Others dislike it, as they spent many
years choosing films with specific, non
neutral "looks" that suit their vision of particular subjects. Velvia, for
example, becomes just another film if fully
color managed.

One may also do one corrected and one not as layers in PS, and simply 'dial in'
the amount of special look desired.

Color Managed Moose