Re: [OM] Need car buying advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Need car buying advice
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 09:00:11 -0700 (PDT)
You should move to New England.  This will give you the opportunity to be the
King of the Road...:)

Seriously, the Prius owners are the most aggressive drivers you can experience
on the roads around here.

Best

Boris

From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 17:21:18 -0500
Chuck, you hit the nail on the head regarding the road noise. The
stock tires that Toyota ships with most of their cars are usually
pretty horrid in regards to road-noise. I'd change to a high-grade
Goodyear. The roof-rack is another known issue with almost every
vehicle that has them. Take the cross bars and move them to the far
rear. We've test driven multiple Siennas and find them to be decent, but not
great vehicles. As to comfort and drivability, we love the Mazdas.
They're the smallest of the breed, but boy do they handle nice. Sports
car like handling was the way we could describe one MPV we drove. The
Honda Oddity is possibly the best overall minivan on the road today.
As to the Chrysler minivans? Never ever again. I'd personally avoid
them like the plague. With the exception of the Mazda, they all handle
like salted slugs. Toyota seats and legroom are issues with me. But it's a rare
vehicle
(Pontiacs and Mazdas) that fit me well.So I just suck it up and live
with it. Nothing a few Tylenol can't take care of. My outer limit for
driving the Prius without a stretch break is about 90 minutes. I'd
grouse about driving that on long trips except for that 50 MPG thing.
Maybe I need a bead seat cover. We have noticed something about the Toyota
Prius vs. the Jeep Grand
Cherokee. I pass through Des Moines rush hour traffic four times a
week on 35-80 (I-35, I-80, not Zuiko 35-80). With the JGC I can pretty
much pick whatever lane I want and not get pushed around too much. But
in the Prius, I get run over from every which direction. The
difference is so stark that we have determined that the extra $5 per
day in gasoline cost is inexpensive survival insurance. However, after getting
run over by a school bus, my wife wasn't too
excited about driving the Prius for a while. She's starting to get
comfy again, but those doors are awfully narrow. The rear dually of
the bus was less than six inches from her head. The hybrid drivetrain of the
Prius, as well as the battery pack, are
second to none. The system is seriously incredible and impressive.
Especially considering that the gears of the entire drivetrain are
about the size of your fist. This won't be our last Prius. AG --
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx http://www.zone-10.com --