Re: [OM] Need car buying advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Need car buying advice
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 20:03:59 -0400
Oh, I most certainly wouldn't.  That's why I bought the Toyota in the
first place and especially with the low miles and extended warranty.
But I've discovered that all that is meaningless if you don't like to
drive the car on long trips... its primary purpose.

On the other hand, Consumer Reports also bemoaned the repair record of
my 1999 Chrysler LHS which I had consulted before buying it in 2000 as a
used car with 3,500 miles on it.  It socked me once big time with an
$1,100 repair bill to replace the A/C receiver/dryer.  A $200 part with
a $900 labor bill since it's under the dash and requires removal of the
complete dash board, steering column and all instruments and much of the
wiring.  But apart from that big surprise is has been a model of
reliability for the 12 years I've owned it.  Apart from the A/C repair,
in 108,000 miles it has required one fuel injector, one starter, an oil
drain plug repair to the aluminum oil pan (probably due to cross
threading of the plug by a dumb "mechanic", new support struts for the
trunk lid and one tail light bulb.  The Toyota would probably have
required none of that.  But the Chrysler LHS is extremely comfortable to
drive and also fun to drive.  It accelerates and corners very well for a
very large car.  I'm still very surprised that the shocks do not give
any indication of wear yet.

ps:  It also survived a 60 mph collision with a garage floor jack
dropped on the road in front of me in the dark by a jack wielding pickup
truck with an open tailgate.  It tore a huge, gaping hole in the left
front tire and caused the car to be somewhat airborne for a while but
the wheel was undamaged and the car didn't even need realignment. :-)

Chuck Norcutt