Re: [OM] Need car buying advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Need car buying advice
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 00:07:14 +1300
A few years ago I was looking for a 4x4.

A good friend recommended to get a Nissan Terrano. Now, I'm sorry i didn't.

Then I also tried the 1997 (very good model with all the major bugs
removed) Toyota turbo-diesel Surf, 3 litres of my then future father-in-law of
my daughter. .It was a great performer, but i decided there and then that if I
ever bought one I would replace the front seats with some from either a
Range Rover or a Mitsubishi 4x4. They are incomparably more comfortable.

I ended up buying a 1996 Range Rover DSE 2.5L turbo diesel. Very
economical, very comfortable, the best-looking 4x4 by a country mile, great
to drive, but disastrously unreliable and very expensive to fix - especially
the
air suspension and the diesel pump. I suspect the gearbox is going to cost
me as well.
These machines are almost never seen in used car dealers yards. There's
no way they could guarantee them.
In hindsight I wish I had asked around a bit; never suspected they could be
as bad.

Brian Swale