Re: [OM] OT: And You Thought Camera Equipment Was Pricey

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: And You Thought Camera Equipment Was Pricey
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:00:07 -0500
On Thu, Sep 6, 2012, at 05:23 PM, Ken Norton wrote:

> I did buy a sweet
> Schwinn Continental II 10-speed. 36 stinking pounds.

I just picked up one of those over the weekend -- for my son, although
it turns out that the frame is a tad to large for him.  I may rebuild it
for myself or re-sell it once I got it cherry again.  I had Schwinns as
a kid -- a kiddie bike, then a 50's one-speed with huge balloon tires,
and a rather nice red one that I gussied up for my paper route.

That Schwinn nameplate on the front is a huge nostalgia trigger for me.

> Paper routes are horrible on bikes and I had to rebuild both the Western
> Flyer and the Schwinn a few times over.

Before ADA, there were no ramps at corners.  These old Schwinns had
enough poop in them to make it possible to jump curbs, although I
eventually tore my handbars in two after delivering papers for a couple
of years.

> In hindsight, I don't long for ANY of my old bikes. Those were heavy
> beasts.

You're just a kid.  Give it time.

Joel W.

                          or over the web