Re: [OM] OT: And You Thought Camera Equipment Was Pricey

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: And You Thought Camera Equipment Was Pricey
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 09:47:09 -0500
On Tue, Sep 4, 2012, at 07:26 PM, Chris Trask wrote:
>     I found the Nishiki in a Goodwill for just $15.  After new tyres and
> inner tubes it was well up to par and just needs to have the handlebars
> retaped.  After pricing out a few of the components I get the feeling
> that
> it's probably worth $1,000 or more.

Yup, that's a Fang/Duggan.  Nice going.

>     The Peugeot was given to me.  The chain was almost a solid piece of
>     rust
> and there were no pedals.  Took me a whole afternoon to work enough oil
> into
> the chain that it wouldn't bind in the rear derailleur.  Replaced the
> tyres,
> inner tubes, brakes, front derailleur, rear derailleur pulleys, and
> saddle
> and it runs just fine.  All I need to do is modify the shifters from
> stock
> downtube to Suntour barend and do the taping.  In 1975 a bike like this
> cost
> around $450, and I had only $375 saved up, but it was just enough money
> for
> a Motobecane with the same components.  I made a few changes in the early
> years, and I still have it.  It's a wonderful touring bike.

I remember when the Japanese bikes first began to challenge the European
road bikes for market share.  I also remember figuring out how many
months of bus passes I would need to recoup to pay for the $175 the Fuji
Sports 10 cost me as an impoverished graduate student.

I just spent $150 on a used wheel set for the Sagres.  Sigh.  But
vintage road bikes are a blast.

Joel W.

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different...