Re: [OM] OT: And You Thought Camera Equipment Was Pricey

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: And You Thought Camera Equipment Was Pricey
From: "Larry G. Griffin" <lggriffin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 08:56:02 -0700
   I still have my 1972 Motobecane Le Champion, bought it new, was top of
   the line. IIRC 1972 was the year Ocana won the Tour for Motobecane. The
   next year they tripled the price
   Larry the lurker

   Chris Trask wrote:

     <<SNIP>>

I remember when the Japanese bikes first began to challenge the European
road bikes for market share.  I also remember figuring out how many
months of bus passes I would need to recoup to pay for the $175 the Fuji
Sports 10 cost me as an impoverished graduate student.

     When I bought my Motobecane back in 1974, the Fuji titanium alloy frame ALO
NE was selling for $1,200!!!  Wouldn't I love to find one of those in a thrift s
tore.  I did see a Bridgestone in a thrift store recently without wheels for $40
.  It was gone before the day was over.

I just spent $150 on a used wheel set for the Sagres.  Sigh.  But
vintage road bikes are a blast.

     I have an opportunity to buy a 1987 Peugeot Versailles for $95 that needs s
ome work.  Maybe, just maybe...

Chris