Re: [OM] OT: And You Thought Camera Equipment Was Pricey

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: And You Thought Camera Equipment Was Pricey
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 10:55:37 -0400 (EDT)
     <<SNIP>>

>I remember when the Japanese bikes first began to challenge the European
>road bikes for market share.  I also remember figuring out how many
>months of bus passes I would need to recoup to pay for the $175 the Fuji
>Sports 10 cost me as an impoverished graduate student.

     When I bought my Motobecane back in 1974, the Fuji titanium alloy frame
ALONE was selling for $1,200!!!  Wouldn't I love to find one of those in a
thrift store.  I did see a Bridgestone in a thrift store recently without
wheels for $40.  It was gone before the day was over.

>I just spent $150 on a used wheel set for the Sagres.  Sigh.  But
>vintage road bikes are a blast.

     I have an opportunity to buy a 1987 Peugeot Versailles for $95 that needs
some work.  Maybe, just maybe...

Chris