Re: [OM] OM-D Viewfinder questions for Moose.

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D Viewfinder questions for Moose.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2012 13:37:34 -0700
On 8/4/2012 8:59 PM, Jim Couch wrote:
> I am curious as to your impressions of the viewfinder on the new OM-D. In
> particular I would love to know how it
> functions in bright midday light. The camera is very tempting as a climbing
> camera, but for me the viewfinder would be
> a limitation if it does not perform well in midday sun.

I just posted at some length in reply to Carlos.

But to your more specific question, I think it works very well in midday sun.
It does tone down things too bright to
display in proper tonal relationship with mid-tones. For, example, with the
bright yellow coreopsis I was shooting in
direct, late sun, the viewfinder made them slightly pallid version of
themselves, not as bright and a softer yellow.

That surprised me for a moment, then I forgot about it. I could see what and
where they were just fine. Given that the
EVF can't reproduce the full brightness range of natural subjects in direct
sun, this solution seems much better than
just letting the highlights go white. Details of the bright parts of the
subject then remain visible.

I've worked in my yard in midday sun, and for a couple of hours straight in
slightly later sun at a botanic garden. I
didn't find any practical difference from working the same garden in the same
light with a pentaprism DSLR. I get a
large, bright, clear view of what I'm shooting. But note the caveats in my
longer post about how adaptable I seem to be
to various SLR style viewfinders. Personal taste varies.

Although it hasn't yet happened to me, there will be angles, especially
shooting with glasses, where sun will enter from
the side and cause trouble, but that's just the same as on a true (D)SLR. AND,
it won't affect the exposure! AND, I can
switch to the OLED in live view just by pulling my eye away from the viewfinder.

I don't climb like you do. I imagine the OM-D would make a good climbing
camera. Not only is the viewfinder good, but
the OLED screen is good, and between better viewing angle than an LCD and
vertically adjustable angles, should allow
getting angles not possible through the viewfinder, or by moving, when hanging
on the side of a big rock. ;-) The
seamless, instant movement between viewfinder and rear screen, without
adjusting anything, is lovely.

Balanced View Moose