Re: [OM] OM-D Viewfinder questions for Moose.

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D Viewfinder questions for Moose.
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 12:25:36 +0200
Hi Jim and all,

While I'm writing a quick OM-D E-M5 review, giving thanks to you all for
the warm welcome (again), please let me "overtake" Moose about this
question :-) :-) :-)

To put things in perspective: I wear glasses (nearsightedness) and have a
rather long nose, both making me *very* critical about camera viewfinders...

When in bright sunlight, I usually wear prescription sunglasses. For
instance, in these circumstances the Fuji X100 EVF  becomes basically
useless. That camera has adjustable diopter, but of very limited range, so
I just can't take the glasses off and poke the eye into the finder :-(
Fortunately, on the X100 I can switch easily to optical viewfinder, which
is not an option on the OM-D...

...but the OM-D EVF is *much* better! Even with sunglasses on, I find it
surprisingly useable, even on standard settings -- there are options for
increasing EVF brightness that _seem_ to work well, because they do
increase actual finder brightness, instead of just clipping the highlights
like other screens.

IMHO, the electronic viewfinder is one of the strongest points of the OM-D:
sharp, bright, detailed, wide gamut and fast refresh rate. It shows an
accurate preview of exposure settings, with an option to mark clipped
(highlight/shadow) zones during Live View, BEFORE taking the exposure. The
built-in diopter adjustment has an ample range, and the eye-relief is
adequate for me.

The only flaws a can see on it are related to the eyepiece optics:
definitely _not_ up to 'Pro' quality, it has some CA when looking to the
corners, and its plane of focus is somewhat tilted -- you can't get in
exact focus both the top and the bottom of the screen. If I were younger, I
wouldn't have noticed because my eyes would accomodate within that small
difference... but my recent presbyopia makes this an issue for me :-( Now
I've settled with a diopter setting that allows me to see clearly (most of)
the image area while the indications at the bottom are slightly blurred
(but still readable)

I have seen some flare on it, most likely caused on the eyepice cover glass
from the projected EVF images. Not really serious, but worth noting anyway.

Hope this helps,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)