Re: [OM] Dinosaurs vs. Digital [was Images from Holidays in North Wales

Subject: Re: [OM] Dinosaurs vs. Digital [was Images from Holidays in North Wales plus Xpro1 and OMD]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 14:37:55 -0700
On 7/31/2012 1:37 PM, Frank Wijsmuller wrote:
> Please read <
> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9115179666/user-guide-getting-the-most-out-of-the-olympus-e-m5/print
>   >

Thanks, Frank!

It looks like a very useful guide. I've been browsing the manual a bit. The PDF
on an iPad is much nicer than a printed
version or the PDF on a computer. Just rotate the 'pad to get full screen. On
the 'new' iPad HD monitor, it's just
wonderful to look at.

Still, the manual goes on and on and on ... And I've never been particularly
great at reading the manual without the
camera there in front of me. Fortunately, I've been using the E-PL1 for almost
a week, and did sit down after the first
couple of days for a leisurely stroll through that manual with camera at hand.
Doing it that way, reading, trying it
out, (out in the yard) seeing what happens, then going back to read the next
part, makes it easier to understand and
remember.

I did find that the complex menus everyone talks about aren't as bad as I had
feared. Most of the stuff in the deep
menus is set once and forget stuff. And the compact camera like quick menu is
really quite easy to use.

So I hope I have a leg up on learning the more complex E-M5. Still, its manual
is actually shorter than the E-PL1, so I
imagine it will be no less incomplete. :-)

Example: When I downloaded some images after going through the manual and
making adjustments, the first character of the
image file names changed from 'P' to '_'. Huh? There is a way to change the way
the names are done in a deep menu. BUT,
it doesn't touch the first character. Nothing on the Oly sites. About the
fourth source found in a web search clears it
up. If sRGB is set, the file name starts with 'P', aRGB is '_'.

Would it have hurt to note that in the manual where that menu option is
explained? The entire manual entry for the RGB
option is "COLOR SPACE | You can select how colors are reproduced on the
monitor or printer." . It doesn't even name the
choices.

R. T. F. M. Moose