Re: [OM] [OT] Large churches in UK [Was: A shot with higher dilution for

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Large churches in UK [Was: A shot with higher dilution for contrast control]
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 18:16:52 +0100
I was going to refer you to the very same website, Michael, so now you have
to read it twice as carefully!

To the best of my knowledge York Minster charges for admission, and allows
use of cameras for amateur photography, including use of tripods. Any
churches that object to tripods would generally do so to minimise
obstructions, so it might be best to check first (since, of course, with
your camera you *have* to use a tripod).

I think I mentioned to you before that York Minster (the largest church in
York, over 1200 years old) is very much worth a visit, and to do it justice
could take a whole day!

In London, both St Pauls Cathedral and Westminster Abbey do not allow
photography at all. Maybe you can use a tripod - but absolutely not with a
camera! I can suggest Southwark Cathedral which does allow photography (for
a small fee, but you need to check about tripods) and is architecturally and
historically just as interesting as Westminster Abbey.  See here:
http://cathedral.southwark.anglican.org/visit/tours and also a 3D panorama
at http://cathedral.southwark.anglican.org/visit   . And it is also in the
centre of a very interesting historic area on the south bank of the river,
very close to Shakespeare's Globe Theatre (also worth a visit).

Now, as to the lens choice.  The best I can offer is a couple of interior
shots at Glasgow Cathedral, which I think might be representative of
Southwark, but York might be bigger. Of course, you will (I assume) have the
benefit of rising front, so you might not have the same limited field of
view, but on the other hand, your churches are unlikely to be as quiet and
freely accessible as Glasgow.

Taken with the 7-14mm ZD at 14mm, completely uncropped, as from the camera
(yes, I know the camera wasn't level!):
http://www.hemy.me.uk/img/P1103875.jpg

Taken with the 7-14mm ZD at 8mm again , completely uncropped, as from the
camera (a bit better with the level this time):
http://www.hemy.me.uk/img/P1103880.jpg

The previous shot after perspective correction is PS (and editing to obscure
the teenager who thought she belonged in the shot!)
http://www.hemy.me.uk/img/P1103880-Edit.jpg

And I found someone's interior shot from Southwark here (7mm on m4/3):
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=40507191

Assuming you are using 5x4, I think you would do well to bring the Super
Angulon, as you will need the extra field of view. I appreciate that the
80mm can cover 5x7, and therefore makes more rise possible - I fear it will
not be enough.

Piers