Re: [OM] OT - Card reader question

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Card reader question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 14:55:01 -0700
On 7/6/2012 11:39 AM, NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I am using a USB 2.0 Multi-card reader with cards that generally are 300X
> or 400X speed. Things are really slow on my PC.  Might I need a new  card
> reader?  If so, what should I look for?

There are cards - and there are cards. I have had several, which have varied
considerably.

USB 2.0 does not guarantee speed, especially in cards from the early part of
the 2.0 era. The spec has a hole in it
which allowed labeling as 2.0 without any real increase in speed. The only
assurance was if it said "USB 2.0 Hi-Speed",
with the Hi-Speed part on a little flag.

I'm sure that's all over now, as the supply of slow components has long ago
flushed through the pipeline - but if your
card is older ...

OTH, I have two readers that appear physically identical from that period. One
says high speed and the other not, and
they are almost identical in speed. My desktop came with a multi format card
reader in a 3.5" HD slot. It was quite
slow, so I was using separate readers. A year or so ago, I bought a new one
very inexpensively. Nowhere could I find one
that assured it was high speed, but I took a chance on what I said above, that
all new chips will be high speed by now,
and it's much faster.

> Yes, I do have a new  MacBook Pro and the transition is not occurring at warp
> speed.  What card  reader might be
> best for the Mac?

I suspect anything new will probably be fine. If you want to test, there are
free utilities available. I've used HDTune.
A quick test readily shows the differences.

Speedy Moose