Re: [OM] IMG: Maria and Rosaura Perez

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Maria and Rosaura Perez
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 17:32:36 -0400
I don't think I've added any in Silverfast or LR.  I do have a program that
does that - Lucis Pro - but haven't tried it with the Kodachromes.  I like
it for special effects on some photos but, as you say, I'll watch it with
KR and B&W.

How about the PhotoKit sharpening program by the Pixel Guru guys? I use
that at a very low level and the fade the layer until it looks right,
sometimes using the history brush to only sharpen the eyes.

Thanks!

Tina

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tina wrote:
> > I think the program that makes the biggest difference is Silverfast...
>
> Tina, the one thing that I would be really careful of with Kodachrome
> scans is using any LCE (Local Contrast Enhancement) on the images.
> Unlike Ektachrome, Kodachrome behaves more like a B&W film. When you
> do the LCE (which is usually a wide diameter, low setting USM), it
> causes all sorts of grief with the contrast. I know that I mentioned
> this before, but between Silverfast and Lightroom, there are far too
> many opportunities to get some contrast enhancement in there that just
> corrupts the image.
>
> A general rule of thumb that I've kinda adopted is to adjust an effect
> to the point that I can see it, then back off half way.On its own, any
> effect can be just fine, but when combined with other effects, the
> alterations are cumulative and you can end up with a real mess on your
> hands.
>
> As always, YMMV.
>

> --
> Ken Norton