Re: [OM] IMG: Maria and Rosaura Perez

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Maria and Rosaura Perez
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 16:25:49 -0500
Tina wrote:
> I think the program that makes the biggest difference is Silverfast...

Tina, the one thing that I would be really careful of with Kodachrome
scans is using any LCE (Local Contrast Enhancement) on the images.
Unlike Ektachrome, Kodachrome behaves more like a B&W film. When you
do the LCE (which is usually a wide diameter, low setting USM), it
causes all sorts of grief with the contrast. I know that I mentioned
this before, but between Silverfast and Lightroom, there are far too
many opportunities to get some contrast enhancement in there that just
corrupts the image.

A general rule of thumb that I've kinda adopted is to adjust an effect
to the point that I can see it, then back off half way.On its own, any
effect can be just fine, but when combined with other effects, the
alterations are cumulative and you can end up with a real mess on your
hands.

As always, YMMV.

--
Ken Norton