Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 22:45:04 -0700
On 6/19/2012 7:18 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Ouch!  That is truly a deal killer.  I don't have a Nikon but it's my
> understanding that the Nikon scanners even work fairly well even on
> Kodachrome which is supposed to stymie IR dust removal just like
> non-chromogenic B&W.

It's not the scanner, it's VueScan. The scanner, regardless of brand, simply
does an IR scan in addition to the three
color channels. Ed has apparently figured out a way to use the IR channel on
Kodachrome.

Before h improved that function, IR dust removal in KR wasn't as bad as for
B&W, but not very good. I've tried using in
for sky, where dust is the biggest problem, and not elsewhere, where it did
strange things. Two 'scans' from a VS Raw
TIFF into two layers in PS. Awkward, and not entirely successful.

I've yet to try the newer VS on KR.

I. R. Moose