Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 16:52:43 -0400
Thanks, Moose!  I have never done much except scanning straight into
Lightroom and hitting Auto Tone. Sharpening the eyes is really subtle but
it works.  I have PhotoKit's sharpening filters that I use sometime for
output and they include a creative brush that I can use on just the eyes, I
think.

Thanks again,

Tina

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/14/2012 7:48 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> >> Color negatives scan fine:
> >> http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/143476719
> > Ah! Fuji Press 800 is one of God's gifts to photographers. It's the
> > Tri-X of the color film world.
>
> Wonderful subject, light and color!
>
> The following doesn't relate to such a vast project of scanning thousands
> and thousands of slides. What you've got is
> more than good enough for that. More about what might be done when fine
> tuning a favorite image:
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Manley/Laura_Dominquez.htm>
>
> A little vague looking in detail. Do you resharpen slightly after
> downsampling for the web? I and many others have
> expounded at length on the technical whys of loss of detail in the process
> of downsampling, indeed any digital sampling.
> The point is simply that it happens, and can be compensated for.
>
> There is some loss of visible detail in the brightest parts of the dress.
> It's there, but not visible to my eyes because
> of highlight compression somewhere in the processing. Gently stretching
> this highlight tonal info down, in bright areas
> only, brings fabric detail into visibility, especially in the low detail
> central panel. Makes the light seem a tiny bit
> softer, as well.
>
> I wonder if lack of post downsampling and loss of subtle detail in bright
> areas might be a factor in your choice to add
> some grain to some images.
>
> A final portrait trick is to locally sharpen just the eyes, eyebrows and
> lips, which really brings viewer's eyes to the
> face.
>
> Locally Sharp Moose
>
> --
> --