Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:30:07 -0700
On 6/14/2012 1:52 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
> Thanks, Moose!

Glad to pass along what I've learned from others.

> I have never done much except scanning straight into Lightroom and hitting
> Auto Tone.

I scan into what VS calls a RAW file, a very dark looking TIFF, in a batch.
That's close to pure scanner output,
although exposure does affect it. Then I scan using VS again against the RAW
files, just as though scanning from film.
Then into PS, or editor of choice.

I save the RAW files and/or final VS output TIFFs. For any that I later process
in PS, I save the PSD and can drop the
intermediate TIFF. Generally, though, I keep the RAW-TIFFs. That way, as I
learn more, I can always go back and
're-scan' the film, even if I should no longer have the scanner.

Although I haven't tried it yet, I should be able to go back and rescan some
KRs that needed lots of spotting, using
VS's new ability to do dust removal on KR, as the RAW file can include the IR
channel, and mine do. Without digging out
the slides and physically scanning them again.

Probably not practical for your project, as it would add uncountable gigabytes
of storage.

> Sharpening the eyes is really subtle but it works.

Just an old trick learned from the portrait folks.

> I have PhotoKit's sharpening filters that I use sometime for output and they
> include a creative brush that I can use on just the eyes, I think.

I do almost no USM based sharpening these days, all deconvolution based with
FM. But for eye/mouth touch-up, it should
be fine.

> Thanks again,

Mon Plaisir Moose

* Sounds l lot like what you say about SF output. DCRaw does the same thing.
What it is is linear scanner output, before
gamma correction for our non-linear eyes. Easy to correct in PS, a couple of
clicks, if you know how, but now you don't
need to know.