Re: [OM] Another of the old factory in Fort Wayne

Subject: Re: [OM] Another of the old factory in Fort Wayne
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 22:52:24 +1200
Chris Crawford wrote
<big snip>

> Moose's tone correction looks too light on my screen. I think this is a
> monitor calibration issue rather than an issue of one of us doing ugly
> editing, no one seems to have theirs set the same. I think my work is
> showing too dark and contrasty on Moose's screen compared to mine. The
> prints look beautiful, but you'll have to take my word for it,
> unfortunately. Some people liked my version, others liked Moose's, and I
> suspect that the brightness each viewer had his screen set to influenced
> which version was preferred

Reading all the debate over this shot, and some others, reminds me of my
experiences when I was shooting a lot of B&W 45years ago.  And  before I
continue I will admit i find Chris' shots too contrasty for my taste.

When I was a student in the UK I would take my negs in to a chemist to be
developed and printed, and the prints came back better than I had ever
seen before. To my eyes anyway. There were seldom any dark blacks, nor
glaring whites. Most tones were various gentle shades of grey, and these
also seemed to bring out more detail than later would occur.

I returned to New Zealand, and usually the prints were harsh and contrasty.

Not knowing what I could do to correct that, I gave up before too long.

Brian Swale.