Re: [OM] Another of the old factory in Fort Wayne

Subject: Re: [OM] Another of the old factory in Fort Wayne
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 15:27:58 -0700
On 6/12/2012 6:28 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I'm very surprised to see how much difference the tonal redistribution
> (I think I'd call it correction) makes to my impression of the image.

But what do you think of it? I guess calling it correction means you approve?

On 6/12/2012 9:05 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> I like the increased tonal distribution, but actually liked the skewed
> perspective better.

Mix and match, dood! :-)   Truth is, I didn't have much reaction to this image
when posted, and just moved on. It wasn't
until others started commenting on the effect of perspective correction, and
how it lost something from that, that I
went back to look again.

I'm generally interested in what makes images work or not for various people.
So I did a perspective corrected version
of my own, so it wouldn't lose its horizontal dimension. and I thought maybe
the lack of fine detail in the building
surfaces might be a part of the problem. I thought the results worth sharing.

I didn't go back to see what tonal adjustment would do to the original. The
image is still one that doesn't engage me,
except as a test of technique.

On 6/12/2012 9:36 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> The Moosified tones don't do anything for me, except in the far right
> building. Otherwise, it looks a bit too Hotel California for me.

Well, I've learned very thoroughly that no image, or version of an image, will
please more than a minority of viewers.
But as is often the case, I have no idea what one of your shorthand terms
means. Hotel California is both a place in
Todos (los) Santos, Baja California Sur and the Eagles song and album. I've
been to the hotel.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/Mexico/Cabo_1997&image=971217_02.jpg>
 I've listened
many times to the music. I can't see any way in which they relate in weather,
locale, light or culture to Fort Wayne, or
what you might mean about the image.

The only connection I can see is that back in '97, Todos Santos and the hotel,
like Fort Wayne, were pretty tired and
run down, but the start of a rebirth as an art center was starting to show.
It's now quite a happening place, I
understand. Perhaps I'll see it again this winter.

I like being able to see the detail in the dark upper story of the building on
the right and the sign over the street. I
also like being able to see the brick/paint detail on the left and lower right,
and apparently I've overdone that for
your taste. That's fine; I just don't understand in what way that is the case
from your reference.

Upright Moose