Re: [OM] Another of the old factory in Fort Wayne

Subject: Re: [OM] Another of the old factory in Fort Wayne
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 03:06:51 -0700
On 6/8/2012 8:32 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> Here it is perspective corrected. I'm not sure I like it as much, it seems
>> too static, while the non-corrected one seems to draw you in down the
>> street between the buildings. What do you think? The old version is still
>> online, this is a new link.
> The straightened one needs a different crop. Straightened up, the sky
> becomes too dominant in the picture and fights the subject for
> attention. Oh well, no winning on this one.

I'm not sure. I think the problem is that Chris' signature style* of high
contrast suppresses highlight and shadow
detail. With the visual attraction/distraction of the unsquare forms
'corrected', there just isn't much for the eye to
engage with.

Changing the tonal distribution to bring up detail in the building surfaces
improves the corrected version a lot, to my
eye. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Crawford/ward-corp2.htm>

Better or worse than the original, I leave to your taste. Personally, the high
contrast style works well with some
subjects and not as well with others.

I think some of the dolls series suffer from lost detail in the dolls from the
same cause. But as one immune to the
horror factor, I may be missing something.
<cid:part2.06080005.03020109@gmail.com>

Tonality Moose

* At least on the web.  I've not seen any prints.