Re: [OM] OM-D gets high praise locally

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D gets high praise locally
From: "List, OM" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 23:15:28 -0700
B&H had advertised they would start shipping April 16 but I didn't receive
a black one with 12-50 until about 2 days ago (ordered April 1). I don't
have anyway of knowing if orders were high or Olympus delivery slow.

A few quick handheld shots at ISO 800 make me think it is achieving pixel
resolution. It caught a pixel wide spider web which I didn't even see while
taking the picture. My impression is that if you were happy hand holding a
35mm camera the OM-D can beat that. It is way more pleasing to carry around
than a Canon 5D

In terms of aesthetics of the camera itself, I really like it. Probably
every other DSLR I've touched I thought was somewhat ugly. Having the two
adjustment wheels on the top of the camera is very pleasant especially for
a left eyed shooter.

The 12-50 has a very nice feel to it probably in part due to the powered
zoom mechanicals making it feel more substantial. (very nice switching
between powered zoom and manual zoom). The 40-150 has a plastic camera
mount and doesn't feel as nice as the 12-50 but is almost unnoticeable in a
jacket pocket ... so I think I'm going to be happy having it.

The body itself is slightly smaller than a film OM (heigth and depth almost
the same, width roughly 1/2" less). The thumb rest and finger grip bump are
nice. Although the display doesn't have all of the movements of the E620,
the OM-D just feels like a much nicer camera. IMO it's not just one more in
a progression but the first digital that deserves to be labeled OM. I like
it a lot.

Jeff Keller