[OM] IMGs: Desert Flowers and Rattlesnakes

Subject: [OM] IMGs: Desert Flowers and Rattlesnakes
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 11:04:04 -0400 (EDT)
     Yesterday was probably my last opportunity to visit low altitude desert
areas, and it certainly was not disappointing, adding two more species to my
check list.  The first of these was Shaggy Dwarf Morning-Glory (Evolvulus
nuttallianus):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/7170942056/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/7170944750/in/photostream

and the other was Parish's Indian Mallow (Abutilon parishii):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/7170965340/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/7170962944/in/photostream

     Not commonly seen is White Ball Acacia (Acacia angustissima), and this was
a nice specimen at the peak of flowering:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/7171007858/in/photostream

     The early part of the morning was accented by a pair of Western
Diamondback rattlesnakes, the first of whom was not the least bit camera-shy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/7171030122/in/photostream

Since this species can generally strike to one body length, I don't mind
getting within twelve feet or less to get a good photo. The second of these was
not as accomodating, being a bit grumpy and arrogant (Reptile Dysfunction?):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/7171033032/in/photostream

     A possibility of thunderstorms had been forecast for the late afternoon
and evening, and in this area the weather can change abruptly when an unstable
airmass arrives.  These two photos show the storms as they appeared in the
distance around noon:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/7171097578/in/photostream

and as they gathered quickly about 90 minutes later:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/7171094482/in/photostream

     I arrived home less than an hour before this line of storms struck the
Phoenix area, generating a haboob (dust storm) that later reached Tucson and
causing all sorts of damage in the Phoenix area into the late evening hours.

Chris

Chris