Re: [OM] Pixco adapters -bad; Big_IS -good (was "Re: How Ken invented

Subject: Re: [OM] Pixco adapters -bad; Big_IS -good (was "Re: How Ken invented
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 22:25:14 -0700
On 5/8/2012 5:38 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> ... to improve focus  precision.  I would bet Big Foot that if this is
> possible as it seems to be, AG or Moose could pull it off.

Moose has no dog in this race.

While my chipped adapter seems to focus confirm pretty well, I simply don't use
it for that. I bought it for the Av
stuff I just posted about.

I often skip, or at best skim, threads full of stuff about focusing screens,
etc.

Having been blessed with exceptional vision in my "shootin' eye", focus
confirmation in MF mode is largely superfluous.
I'd trust my eye first, anyway.

I not uncommonly use AF by quickly focusing, then doing so again, and again, as
needed, on slightly different parts of
the subject, until the focal plane is where I want it. Especially so for macro.
The Canon Ultrasonic lenses that allow
manual focus without switching of AF would be wonderful for me, but they don't
have the other characteristics I want. I
do have the odd 24-85/3.5-4.5, designed for APS film, I think, with that
feature, but the 38-136 mm eq. range doesn't
much appeal to me.

I recently had been having some OOF problems, and realized I'd been complacent,
accepting the AF beep too often. Once I
paid close attention, I discovered there was also a mechanical problem with the
mount. With that resolved, at least for
the moment, and paying attention, my focus is back.

AF is a wonderful tool, but it isn't always right. :-)

So you folks go right on chatting about focus confirmation chip performance,
rocking whatever it is someone is rocking,
focus screens and their positioning and coatings, and so on. Just don't expect
me to listen very closely,  weigh in, or
perform some odd feat of jiggering with AF confirm. ;-)

No Focal Opinion Moose