[OM] Pixco adapters -bad; Big_IS -good (was "Re: How Ken invented

Subject: [OM] Pixco adapters -bad; Big_IS -good (was "Re: How Ken invented
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 17:37:25 -0400 (EDT)
Just about impossible unfortunately  to have a brighter VF and focusing
snap for MF lenses--unless the VF optics were completely
redesigned.    One can get a "Maxwell" treated Eg-s screen to make it
brighter than the Eg-s but one loses some OOF clues for MF.
Essentially, what those coating techniques do is cut down on the
diffusion (and by
extension, the focusing contrast or 'snap') by smoothing over the
surface.  The Katzeye Optibright treatment has a slightly less adverse
effect on MF capability but it is essentially a zero sum game.  Rachel
at Katzeye essentially said it wasn't really worth making FF screens as
it added little to what is available.   Also worth remembering that
Canyon sells shims for the screens for good reason.
Be careful out there.

I bet they are glad to be rid of this manufacturing tolerance Headache
with the OM5DIII.  The VF is 100% in the OM 5DIII vs I think 98% for
the II.  I am surprised that the wee bit under has been an irritant at
times but it is.  The stock screens are essentially the same and allows
for reliable focusing to about F4 according to Chuck  W.  and I can't
seem to do much better though the alt lens mavens
on FM seem to be able to get to F2.8 by interpolating between far and
near limits of depth of focus.

No cake and eat it too. Mike

 I wish Canon could make
something like the 2-series OM screens, which I find easy to focus and
bright.

--
Chris Crawford