Re: [OM] OT: CS6

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: CS6
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 08:25:20 -0400
Exactly. LR4 is something approaching mystical to me. I suppose CS6's Camera
Raw will be rather much like it. For me, most of the heavy lifting can be done
in LR4, then it's over to photoshop for things such as sharpening. I use Pixel
Genius for that because it gives me many options and a lot of control and the
masks are ready to go. I can sharpen the rocks in a seascape to suit, and then
just paint over the sky to remove any sharpening there.

LR4, and presumably CR7, have pretty good sharpening capability themselves, and
in some cases it's enough. But sometimes you need to get really creative. In
the latest issue of Digital Photo Pro, John Paul Caponigro talks about
combining various types of Unsharp Mask and High Pass Sharpening to good
effect. You've got to have Photoshop and Layers for that. And as you point out,
you need them for portrait retouching as well. But that said, the healing tool
in LR4 is pretty spiffy. I suspect a lot of portrait shooters have some of
those costly plug-ins as well that obviate the need to go to Photoshop. But for
the rest of us, Photoshop does the trick.

But I suspect LR5 will have even more to offer, and make Photoshop less
necessary. Unless you're Moose. <g>

--Bob