Re: [OM] OT: CS6

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: CS6
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 21:55:15 -0700
On 5/4/2012 12:02 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
> I've succumbed.  I've bought CS5, ready for the "free" upgrade to CS6 when it
> comes.  I don't need it, but I have been curious about the new interface, not
> to mention the upgrades to some of the features that I use.

Learn about layers and masks, as below, and try out the Context Aware Tool and
the Healing brush in CA mode. Absolutely
astonishing most of the time how it can remove the unwanted invisibly. It does
so something odd on occasion. CS6 has a
cure for that that I've not tried.

> And I really must get to grips with layers.

Layers and layer masks are just plain magic!

I always do editing on a new layer. Many things that I do all the time I have
set up as Actions that add and name a
layer, then open up the tool I want to use. In Chris C's tutorial, I would use
fewer keystrokes/clicks as a result.

Once I've edited the new layer, I may mask it to limit the effect to selected
areas and amounts. Or I may just change
the opacity of the layer, so it has less effect. That is SO MUCH faster and
more controllable/precise than going back
and forth, using different settings for a tool, until it's the right amount.

And, with several layers active, I can go back and change my mind about
something I've done before. On Wayne's solitaire
mushroom, I'd gone ahead with several adjustments to the masked area of the
'shroom when I realized I wanted to tone
down the brightest areas of the rest of the image and apply some selective blur.

On the roll over for Wayne's 'shroom group shot, I've added two versions that
show the masked area and how the rest of
the image would become too bright and obtrusive without the mask.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others//Harridge/Shrooms.htm>
Just select the background layer, make a new adjustment layer for the
Highlight/Shadow tool, then another for the blur,
adjust the amount of blur, mask it for selective amounts and merge those two
layers and I'm done.

On Wayne's overview image, I was finished, then notices that the two leaves,
lower left, were too bright and tonally
undifferentiated. New layer, a couple of clicks of the Quick Selection Tool,
Brightness -15, LCE, and/or Curves, and
they are just where I want them, without any effect on the rest of the image.

Layers can do many other, magical, well, almost magic, things, but that's
enough for now.

Layered Nuance Moose