Re: [OM] OT: CS6

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: CS6
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 21:34:37 -0700
On 5/4/2012 1:54 PM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> That's good work, Chris. I'll have to try that. I generally just create a new
> layer, select white or black for the foreground color, hit brush and set
> opacity at about 20 percent, sometimes less. Then I brush the area I want to
> darken or lighten, not lifting the pen, and when I'm done I . . . (brain
> working, it's been a while . . .) Fade Brush! that's it. Phew. I get the Fade
> Brush dialogue up and move the slider until I like the effect. With the
> opacity and flow controls, you can do much the same thing as feathering in
> your tutorial. The down side is that you have to do all the brushing in one
> motion. If you lift the pen Fade Brush only works on what you've done so far.
>
> Nice thing about Photoshop is that there are a number of paths up the
> mountain.<g>

Indeed! This is interesting. I work yet another way for the same effect. I use
one of the selection tools, then the
Refine Edge dialog available on the control bar for any selection tool to
adjust the edge. That's for areas like Chris
uses in his example.

For larger scale masks, like I think Bob is talking about, I first use one or
more selection tools, click on the Add
Layer Mask icon on the bottom of the Layers Palette to make the selection a
mask, then fine tune it as Bob has outlined.
Simply less painting to do.

P. S. Moose