Re: [OM] The joy and the pain

Subject: Re: [OM] The joy and the pain
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 09:40:36 -0500
So, I met with the writer for the book project last night and we went over
the photos, figuring out what all we have to shoot yet. Remarkably, only
three items need to be reshot. There are a bunch of other shots yet to take
(would have been done last year except for insane work schedule and
moving), but overall, we're pleased with the results.

To monetize this a bit, we're taking one of the photos and turning it into
a bunch of prints, mugs and postcards for resale. Hoping to cash in a bit
on the festival in several weeks.

Unfortunately, for the festival, all the tulips are in bloom right now. A
whole month early. :(  It's not even going to be a "stemfest" as there will
be nothing but summer flowers showing. Yeah, it happens once in a while.
Last year, the timing was near perfect.

Speaking of... There is one shot I took which turned out simply wonderful.
I'm actually quite proud of it, if I might say so myself. It was taken with
the 300/4.5 and I shot through a field of tulips at a windmill.
Unfortunately, they replaced the windmill this year and it looks entirely
different now. I went to reshoot it, but they eliminated most of the tulips
around it and the flowing tree in the background bloomed out last week in a
matter of hours. I'm not sure how to redo the shot--if it's even possible,
because the sign which was there and integral to the picture was even
removed. I realized that the shot I did get was very fleeting and to never
be repeated again.

Another shot, we agreed will have to stay under wraps until the book is
published. It involved a bit of trespassing and "adjustment" in the museum.
It required a bit of creative blocking of the security camera to
accomplish. :)  The shot turned out perfect.

In spite of the pains involved with shooting film, I'm so glad we are doing
this project on film. The colors are beautiful, the exposure latitude is
unbelievably wide, and the look is unique.

I'm reminded again, just how terrific the 35-80/2.8 is. The bulk of the
images were taken with this lens and I'll continue to do so for most of the
project. I'll slip a 100/2 shot in there and a couple more 24/2.8 shots,
but for the most part, the 35-80 will be used for probably 80% of the
shots. It has a presence, clarity and drawing quality which just doesn't
happen with other lenses. Oh, and the bokeh...

One little side-note for getting maximum sharpness out of the OM system.
Use the MD2. It really does make a huge difference. But in combination with
the 35-80, it is big and heavy. Definitely not discreet.

AG