Re: [OM] Missing in action . . . and OT Mac question

Subject: Re: [OM] Missing in action . . . and OT Mac question
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 16:22:31 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 4/6/2012 1:35:53 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Seriously, welcome back! We've missed you and I've even said a  few
wild things just to get you to come out from lurk  mode.
Wasn't lurking, I was lost at sea.  Some days I feel that way.   Texas
A&M-Corpus Christi is known as the Island University as we are located  on an
Island just across from the Naval Air Station.  Check it out:
_http://www.tamucc.edu/_ (http://www.tamucc.edu/)
A great place to be for one who wants a MFA in Studio Arts.  Corpus is  not
all bad.

As to the computer thingy, I'll just throw a few thoughts  out.

1. As an MFA student, a Mac laptop is kinda the required  "uniform". No
self-respecting MFA student would be caught dead with a PC.  Am I
right???

As always, you are right, however as Olympus OM users we both don't mind
swimming against the flow.  My wife has her eye on a Mac Book of some sort
and I really would prefer having a nice 27" monitor at my desk in my little
office.  Figure if push comes to shove, I can either use her Mac Book or my
PC on the weekends.  So, no, I don't need a Mac laptop.

2. The Mac is a decent computer, but has the pain in the  neck
operating system that won't let you run the best  software.

My software needs are pretty simple.  Photoshop and a word
processing/office package.  Guess, I may need a good anti-virus based on  the
news this
morning.

3.  Lenovo makes excellent laptops. As an alternative to the PortaMac,
I'd  personally go Lenovo. My wife's dinky laptop is as about perfect
as they  come and my desktop (both purchased within the past 15 months
or so) are  very solid and excellently designed and built. I wouldn't
buy anything but  Lenovo now.

They look good, however I am moving to Mac, the question is just which
one.  As all schools are using Mac for photography, I really don't have a
choice.

BTW, I'm heading off to Michigan in a few weeks to pick up  my 4x5
enlarger which has been sitting in my dad's basement for the  past
year.

Getting ready to go dark again.  I've been shooting a little 4X5  B&W.
Actually did some Velvia last week end.  Won't be wet  printing that, however
if it is good, I'll scan and print it on an Epson 9800 at  school.  Ken, let
me know what if anything you might need in the way of  darkroom stuff.  I
may have a few bits and pieces.

Bill Barber