Re: [OM] Missing in action . . . and OT Mac question

Subject: Re: [OM] Missing in action . . . and OT Mac question
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 01:23:45 +0930
On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 10:50:10AM -0400, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I also agree that the stability of FreeBSD is exceptional.  However, the
> stability of the OS doesn't prevent memory errors caused by the apps or
> by the non-ECC memory chips used in today's low cost computers.  There's
> a reason that server class machines use ECC memory.  Putting the machine
> in sleep mode is conserving energy but is not clearing memory and
> getting you back to the initialized state of a reboot.

Any errors in RAM may introduce program execution problems - this is
where the value of protected-mode operation comes to the fore.  The OS
takes care of this, as if any app goes zombie, and tries to exceed the
boundaries of it's allocated memory space- it is terminated with extreme
prejudice.

Sleep mode copies the contents of RAM into a 'sleep file' on the disk,
(errors and all) & then copies it all back into RAM at restart, so in
effect sleeping/waking the machine is about 80+% reboot anyway.

Eating all of the CPU cycles in an endless loop, well that's a horse of
an entirely different colour (and often needs operator intervention!!!)

davidt