Re: [OM] And yet another dog photo

Subject: Re: [OM] And yet another dog photo
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 15:19:24 -0500
> If I can't see the halos at 33% they don't exist.  When I send the
> images out for printing I tell them not to diddle with the image at all;
> no sharpening, no color correction, no nothing.  But I also prepare
> individual print files for each print size and also make the image
> slightly oversize by the stated bleed amount so they don't have to do
> any resizing at all.

Yeah, that's a bunch of extra work on your part. Granted, you might be
getting some theoretical advantage, but the RIP is still doing
something in there and is doing some extra sharpening. (I know this
for a fact). I've always gotten the best results when I just make sure
that the edges are sharp with no halos. And when there is a very sharp
line in the photo, I'll even back off the edge a little bit since the
RIP will likely halo it a touch.

The 33% rule is dangerous territory. You are depending on the scaling
algorithm of the editor to give you a reasonably accurate downsize of
the image on-screen. I'll use the 33% as a general overall aesthetic,
but always go to 100% to make sure I'm not junking stuff up. More
often than not, I am.

When applying any process, a good general rule of thumb that I go by
is this: Adjust to the point where you notice the effect. Then back
off 50%. These are the images that end up with legs.

AG