Re: [OM] Meet Crash, was:] Retirement and puppy love

Subject: Re: [OM] Meet Crash, was:] Retirement and puppy love
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 09:05:55 -0700
> (i.e., they were unable to breath) if it pulled too hard. In other words, the
> choke collar was working as designed...
If the dog is pulling that hard a choke collar is dangerous. Your
training has failed a few lessons back.
> What technique do you use instead, ...
A dog should be trained to walk calmly at your side or behind you. Never
in front! They then think they are in charge. Once they get the walk
down you can let them run ahead and they will come back when called.
Just make sure they know who's boss. During training one must  _always_
be focused on ques from the dog. A quick flick of the leash will correct
any thought of a transgression before it gets out of hand.  Use positive
reinforcement. Be careful to understand exactly what behavior you are
reinforcing and do it promptly. Negative reinforcement tends to fail
because the dog does not understand exactly what behavior is being
negatively reinforced. e.g. the dog is bad. You call them over and tell
them down and then proceed to yell. WRONG!!

My philosophy pretty much is in agreement with Ceasar, the Dog
Whisperer. Videos of the show are highly recommended.

-Rules
-Boundaries
-Limitations

A dog appreciates knowing them.