[OM] OT: How they work, was How'd they do that?

Subject: [OM] OT: How they work, was How'd they do that?
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 11:59:01 +0100
Just to settle this (vain hope :-)), this is how Aperture works; I imagine
LightRoom does something similar.

When you import image files in Aperture, you choose whether to have the "master
files" go to a disk location or to be included in the Aperture Library.  I,
like most on the List, choose to have my files in a location recognisable
outside Aperture -- yyyy-mm is my folder-naming system; the files are stored
with their native filenames (I might change this as a succession of Canyon
compacts has started at the same point and I now have several RAW files with
the same name :-().

If I forget to do this and they get imported to the Aperture Library it is easy
to notice this and easy to "Relocate Masters" to the disk location of my choice.

I can have more than one Library: all my personal (non-work) photos are in the
main Aperture Library; my website photos are in Library-websites; and my work
photos are in Library-ULAS.

Once I have imported images to Aperture I use the programme to process the
images, send them by email, share them on FB, SmugMug or Picasa, print them or
delete them.  It's an easy and integrated way to carry out these functions.
The final function is cataloguing and is probably the most important.  This is
probably what is meant by "Collections".  The main advantage of using a
programme like this is to be able to fiddle around with images without having
individually to open each file.  I can have several versions of each file to
view and to process without having to do any file saving on the disk.

Finally, none of what happens in Aperture affects the files on disk; this is
what is meant by "non-destructive" processing.

I'm sorry if everyone already knew all this :-), but it seemed to me that there
was some confusion.

I would move to LightRoom, but 2 obstacles are in my way: the Libraries are not
compatible and it would require a lot of work; I don't like the LR interface,
so I'm waiting for Aperture 4.

Chris