Re: [OM] Lightroom now good, Studio now bad (was "Re: How'd they do that

Subject: Re: [OM] Lightroom now good, Studio now bad (was "Re: How'd they do that?")
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 21:20:45 -0500
> In working through some E-410 raw files recently, I found Studio to be
> much worse than I had recalled at highlight recovery.  Pulling the
> exposure to the left in the Studio converter interface darkens the whole
> without actually restoring any detail in the highlight areas!  My old
> copy of LR-2 improves highlight detail perfectly.

You are correct. There is absolutely no "highlight recovery" with
Studio. However, what I have found is that highlight recovery past
where Olympus cuts things off is where the colors lose their
integrity. Highlight recovery will result in color shifts. Usually not
a problem, though, and unless you are bringing back large expanses of
image area, no shifts are usually visible. A sunset recovery just
might do it, though.

> When a Canaan body came into my life, I took the occasion to switch over
> to sRGB.  While I haven't really tested it formally, my impression is
> that Studio is no longer superior to ACR/LR in rendering Olympus color
> more accurately.

My exception to this is skintones. Olympus does something magical
there which ACR/LR just can't quite match. It's only an issue when I'm
doing portraiture for hire.

AG